Well, it's done. Barack Obama is our next President. For the first time, I listened to him speak tonight. He's eloquent. If nothing else, I am excited to have a President that can say what's on his mind effectively. He's going to be a powerful man. He will go down in history. I can tell that from watching him for five minutes tonight.
I voted. I voted "no" on both proposals. I voted for a woman running for President on the Green party ticket. I "wasted" my vote, but I am OK with that. When looking at the issues between John McCain and Barack Obama, I was almost 50/50. I am one of those people that would vote "Republicrat". Or maybe I'd prefer to vote for someone who thought for themselves.
However, I am OK with Obama being our next President. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He does not look evil. He gives me confidence, just listening to him speak. That does not mean I am particularly an Obama supporter. I am just OK with it.
Tomorrow, I will go back to being me. By me, I mean that I will have no idea who is running my county, let alone my country. I won't watch CNN. I won't go to township meetings. I won't have a say in what's happening in this country. I'm OK with that though. I'll step up if I believe that my wounds aren't mostly self-inflicted. If I honestly believed that the way this country is run has anything to do with my struggles, then I'll react. For now, most of what affects my every day life, minus gas prices, are things that I could prevent. Many people can't say that.
Finally, before I go, I have to share with you why I believe that Obama won this election in such a landslide. It all goes back to Facebook and MySpace. The internet is such a powerful tool in spreading "what's cool". Especially Facebook. Arguments were started among million of "internet friends" based solely on the Facebook statuses. This buzz and this tension caused millions of young people to suddenly care about this election. When I was in college, no one my age voted, because no one cared. This time around, it was cool to vote. People of all ages wanted to be heard, but no one more so than the 18-28 demographic. And 80% of them voted for Obama. Voting for change for change's sake is not always a smart thing to do, but in this case, it is not such a bad thing.
Currently Stuck In My Head: Limp Bizkit's "Significant Other"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment