That album fucking inspires me. I think the sunshine inspires me too. Tonight was a weird night. For Today played. Legit dudes, with a crazy good live show, and the right intentions, but are they really doing it right? I mean, are you getting through to kids? Is that what you're supposed to be doing? I guess if you believe it, then yeah, I guess it is.
Tiger Tiger and Your Best Friend are off to great starts to their tours. Played a huge show in Richmond, IN on a Monday tonight. It just motivates me to believe what I already believe in for this "business". It's all about the power of the small town. Why the hell bother to play Detroit, Chicago, and New York? You're just the little guy, in a big, happening world. You should go play Richmond, Indiana and Howell, Michigan. Where you're the big guns.
So with all the inspiration lately, from the La Dispute shows, from seeing Koji, from digging up new great music from bands like Settle, The Rise of Science, and seeing how hard work can get the job done for bands like Your Best Friend, it's sad to have to go back to the same shitty metalcore and pop music time after time. I'm doing some major research on the area, on real estate. There's a lot of thought in my head about just turning this whole thing upside down. Shaking out all the bullshit, the bad bands, the spin-kicking assholes, and just doing this right.
I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I can tell you this: I'm not content where we are right now. Artistic Services Group is probably not going to work out for me. Brad goes AWOL almost weekly for three days, leaving the people who depend on him hanging. Fusion Shows is making strides, but I think we're wandering away from where I want to be. I want this to be about art. We're just becoming mini-Live Nation. Take care of the agents first and foremost. Never mind the artistic value. It's not become about money so much as it is about status and relationships with businesspeople.
THIS "BUSINESS" IS ABOUT PEOPLE. About art. About connections with music, not about connections with managers and agents. Those things have to happen too, but it comes after the music makes a connection. You should first and foremost be concerned about your music. Everything else is secondary. That's why La Dispute's new album is so good. It's connecting with people on a level that nothing else is these days. That's why I can't get the fucking thing out of my head, and out of my CD player.
End rant. It's 3am, I should be sleeping. I'm stoked for Scouts Honor tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment