Thursday, January 15, 2009

Busy, busy times!

So I just started working as a booking agent for Artistic Services Group from Tampa, Florida. It's pretty exciting to have some resources to work with to help some great bands get noticed. I've always enjoyed booking shows that people wanted to book. I'm working on a tour for one of my favorite bands, Damiera, on Equal Vision. I'm pretty excited about that. And my first signing to my roster was Your Best Friend, another one of my favorite bands. I've confirmed like ten shows in the past few days, with a bunch more on the way. It's addicting.

I'll be able to submit bands for tours with some of the industry's biggest bands. They probably won't get them often, but it's just nice to be on a recognizable level with others that work as hard as I do.

As far as Fusion Shows goes, things are going pretty well. We're advancing a bit, but kind of at a plateau at the moment. We can't get any bigger without really rolling with the big boys, getting radio involved and such. It's just going to take one big gig that we land to get it all rolling. We'll see what that'll be.

Mac's Bar really has the potential to be an amazing club, considering what we've built it into. It needs a little bit more direction, a floor, and for the other promoters to recognize that their shows that do 30 people aren't helping anyone. We've invested money there, and will continue to do so, as long as it continues to be what we need it to be. The Planet's a decent option for some larger shows, but nothing's better than a packed out small club.

Same with the Mixtape Cafe in Grand Rapids, but that's a little bit different story. We haven't established ourselves out there, and it'd be difficult to do in a market that's 2 hours away from me. The Crofoot is the Crofoot. Beautiful room with too many people involved. That place should own the earth right now, but it is slowly pulling market share away from some of the others. The Magic Stick/Majestic doesn't have a lot of great shows coming, nor does the Blind Pig. It's a weird time in the Detroit music scene, but we're glad to sit back, be the B market buyer, and wait for the perfect show to vault us into contender status.

The battle of the bands finals is Saturday, and I think we let that whole project down. We didn't give it enough push, and it's going to be disappointing. There'll be a very good crowd there, but not anywhere near the numbers we've done in past years. We simply didn't push it hard enough. Howell's music scene is a mess right now. Kids only come to see metal acts en masse. There's a small group that like indie and other stuff, but they're so picky, it's just easier to take stuff to other markets. Maybe as this new venue works itself out, things will improve in Howell. I need the ability to just have smaller local shows, to get the locals a chance to play out more.

I can ramble all day about this stuff. It's what I do now. Every day, all day. I've been on this laptop 14 hours a day all week. I like it, but I need to find a way to get out of the house more, get some exercise. If I could shake this cold (yes, I'm still coughing), I might be able to go skate or play hoops. Ugh. Oh well. Back to watching the Wings.

No comments: