Friday, April 24, 2009

The first day of the rest of my life.

Since we last had the pleasure of blogging together, I turned 30. Not a big deal, really. Had a cool show with Damiera at the Opera House. Since, we've had some serious winners on the Fusion Shows end of my life, and I've been working quite a bit at the Nature Center, which just shows me how out of shape I am. Your Best Friend just landed some dates with Chiodos, which is exciting for them. And we're working on some great tours for Koji for the summer and fall, and I'm hoping to get out on the road with both of them for a bit.

I'm really, really excited to be heading to the Rescue this Saturday with Teresa and Kimberly. I'm a bit concerned, however. I'm one of those people who really dives into things, so if I get the feeling about this weekend that I hope I get, you guys are going to have to deal with me jamming this Invisible Children thing down your throat, for a long long time.

Here's what it is, in a nutshell. Deep in the jungles in Uganda and The Congo, the longest war in modern history is raging on. A large band of rebels, led by a man named Joseph Kony, has been storming into villages, kidnapping children, and marching them back to his camps, where they break them of their ways, and teach them to become some of the world's most violent soldiers.

This Saturday, in over 100 cities, people will gather from miles around to "abduct" themselves, gathering in peaceful community until a local "mogul" (famous person) comes to "rescue" us all. At that time, a press release will be called, and the "mogul" will speak to the local press about Invisible Children and their efforts to bring Joseph Kony to justice, and to bring these children home to their families in Uganda.

I have never been this into a charitable event, and I truly hope that those people who I've spoken with that have shown interest in going actually follow through and go! It's going to be an absolutely perfect day, and we will all get to hang out together in a beautiful park in downtown Grand Rapids, at Rosa Parks Circle, and work together to make a difference!

Please, head to http://therescue.invisiblechildren.com. Watch the video. It's a half hour of your time, and will leave you wanting to help. I promise.

There are other ways to help. Go to their webstore and order a shirt. Send me with a cash donation, I'll make sure it finds its way. Write a letter to someone important, supporting I.C. Even if you have stuff to do this weekend (Sparty's Spring Party, Demetri Martin, New Found Glory, other shows), YOU CAN STILL HELP!

I can't wait for Saturday.

No comments: